Pros and Cons of Home Security Systems
Importance of Home Security Systems
Becoming a victim of crime is a distant thought for most of us. However, statistics show a different picture. In 2013, approximately 8,632,512 property crimes took place in the United States. According to the statistics provided by the FBI, 22.3% of all the property crimes were burglaries. These numbers are worrisome, however don’t be reactive, instead be proactive, and ensure the safety of your family and your property.
Despite the statistics, many still forget the importance and need of home security in today’s crime-ridden society. Some consider this as an extra expense while others simply don’t believe in its effectiveness. A study by the Rutgers School of Criminal Justice revealed that burglaries consistently decreased in areas with more home alarm systems.
Home Security Companies
When moving to a new city, state, or neighborhood, checking the crime rate in the locality can be a good idea. These numbers will help you understand the level and risk of crime. You can then search for a security system that matches your security need. There are many home security companies across the nation offering security systems. Before you select a system, make sure you verify the company’s credibility. For example, you can check the following:
- Employee certification and license
- Customer review
- Company ranking and registration
As the need for security has increased, competition in this market has also risen. Every city has at least a few security companies that cater to the security needs of the locals.
Pros and Cons of Home Security Systems
There are many different types of home security systems you can choose from. Some are wireless while others are wired. However, the common purpose of both remains the same, which is to provide protection. Security systems have their own pros and cons. A few have been described below:
- Frightens Away Burglars – A burglar will most likely get frightened if an alarm goes off and may immediately leave. This means an alarm system can help keep intruders away and minimize the risk of burglaries.
- Police is Dispatched – In some alarm systems, when the alarm goes off, the local law enforcement agency is automatically notified. Some systems may also send you notifications whenever the alarm goes off in your absence.
- Keep an Eye on your Home – Even when you are away, you can keep a check on what’s going on at your home. You can find out who came in your absence, and also keep a check on your kids, babysitters, etc.
- Remote Access – As technology is advancing, home security systems are being added with remote access features. This means you can check and control your security system from any location via internet or phone. Remote access can be extremely useful in case of false alarms.
- False Alarms – False alarms can be a big nuisance for you, your neighbors, and even the law enforcement. In most cities, residents are fined for false alarms.
- False Sense of Security – Not every burglar will be sacred by an alarm. Nowadays, many burglars are well-equipped, and can still find their way in without tripping the alarm.
- Costs – The cost of home security systems will vary greatly. You must choose wisely and make sure you get the best value for your money.
As the need for security has increased, competition in this market has also risen. Every city has at least a few security companies that cater to the security needs of the locals. According to Angie’s List, there are many companies for home security systems Utah, 99 companies for home security systems Denver, 295 companies for home security systems Indianapolis, 638 companies for home security systems Houston, and 30 companies for home security systems Austin.
The advantages of home security systems cannot be denied. Therefore, spending wisely on a security system may better protect you, your family and your prized possessions. Taking precaution is better than cure, and is definitely worth your family’s happiness and safety.